Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Career Worth Choosing, Part 2

Raoul Dufy (French, 1877-1953); Open Window at Nice
It wasn't until a couple of years after MH had gotten his first "real" job as an ob/gyn, that I began to come to grips with some of these emotions. By this time, we had two children, and I had started teaching piano again out of my home. Now, with this jump back into my "career," when we attended functions, if I was asked that same old question, I could reply, "I teach piano," and listen to the "oohs" and "ahhs" and "Oh, I've always wanted to learn to play," etc..

Digging deeper into my heart about all this, I think having a career to fall back on made me "feel" important, when faced to face with all of these women, these colleagues of MH, who were doing such important things. I really felt like I could hold my own once again, like I had something to talk about. But still, something about all of this left me with a bad taste in my mouth; like I was trying to be something that I wasn't.

All along, I had (have) many friends who made the same choice I had, the choice to walk away from their career and to pursue their family.  And in this group of friends I felt confident, sure; resolved that staying at home was definitely what I was supposed to be doing, what I was called to do.  Along with these women, God's word grounded me with confidence.  I'm always encouraged in the Scripture that my career as a wife and mother are prized and valued very highly by God.  That truly, this choice of mine is a worthy career choice, and nothing to be ashamed of in the professional world.

And there's more to this story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!