Monday, February 21, 2011

More Table Talk

Sitting around the table is a very refreshing thing to do together as a family; something we've always cherished and been committed to. Of course, when MH was in residency, it was rare.  Often I found myself sitting alone at the table or with my little daughter (pleasant, but missing something). So I'm definitely glad we're passed that era in our life and able to look forward to more predictable table time together.

Of course, as previously mentioned, along with table time comes interesting conversations or amusements. Let me explain. I'm a woman who loves cloth napkins; I guess you could say I collect them. In fact, during residency, my actual kitchen curtains were made out of them--cute little yellow striped napkins hanging down in cafe' style.

It wasn't until recently that I realized cloth napkins can serve even more purposes than the common ones (wiping hands, curtains, etc.)  MH happened to have some stitching supplies, and for some odd reason after dinner, he decided to pull it out and start stitching up those very same cloth napkins! Not only did he do this, but he started teaching our little daughter how to do it too! (you see, I actually got used to this in medical school when I'd find a series of stitches hanging from random objects--a chair, a pillow, etc., while my husband was practicing his knots). But now I'm a mom, so I found myself issuing warnings like, "Be careful, that needle is really sharp!" to which, of course, neither of them listened.

So I still haven't ripped those stitches out of that napkin...I keep hoping one of those two get that particular napkin at dinner and laugh about it.  So far, I'm the one who keeps getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!