Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Dr. at Home

Even though MH doesn't have a little clinic in the basement of our house where he sees patients or diagnoses his family, I will say, to follow up from my last post, it is quite nice to be married to an ob/gyn, specifically during these child-bearing years. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has millions of questions about my cycle, random pains, strange symptoms during pregnancy, etc. And instead of feeling like an idiot and calling my doctor every single day with ridiculous questions, I just bombard MH with them!

He is very objective, however, and sometimes I wish he'd just tell me that I'm sick or that it must be cancer, or that there's something very terribly wrong and I should go to bed immediately, or straight to the ER. But pretty much it's, "Your fine, there's nothing wrong. That's completely normal.  Just eat another banana." (that last part happened last night, and I had to laugh!)

What he doesn't do is try to diagnose my children. If I have a sincere concern he tells me to take them to the pediatrician, and so I do. He will take a little flash light and look down their throats, which is helpful since he knows what strep throat looks like, but beyond that he sort of has a "hands off" policy. He will give information and helpful tips, but if it's a deep concern, just go to the doctor.

I think overall he just wants to make sure that relationships don't blur good medicine. He knows he fills different roles in different places, and when he's at home he's the fun Daddy who spends quality time with his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!