Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Common Question

isn't my husband cute?...............
As a Dr's wife, I'm often asked the same question, over and over again (not necessarily by the same person). One of those questions usually comes just after an aquaintance finds out that I'm married to an ob/gyn. They'll ask, "So, does that mean that he delivers your babies?" Hmm, I can see how this is a deep curiosity for some people. So here's what I usually say.

No, he does not.

Now, I have friends whose husbands are ob/gyns, and indeed they have delivered their own babies, or have even done some basic examinations to avoid extra hospital trips (you know who you are...). And while that is totally fine, simply personal preference, my preference is not that. I prefer my husband to be just that, my husband. I want him by my side, next to my head, squeezing my hand and rubbing my back. Not telling me when to push and being at the other end!

But it's not just my preference, it's his too. He really has no interest in being my Dr., and really just wants to trust someone else with that responsibility. We've been blessed to have smooth deliveries, but what if there were complications? It seems like that might just make the situation more difficult.

When our first son was born, I sincerely asked him ahead of time if this might be the one time he wanted to deliver his own baby, his first son. And he didn't even have to think about it.  The answer was no.

And that is that.

1 comment:

  1. Wait....your THAT Dr.'s Wife? Oh, except he's not really a Dr., is he? What kind of blog is this? :)

    I get it totally!
    I think if I were married to a OB doc I would make the same decision.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!