Saturday, January 8, 2011

Food for Thought


Being married to a gynecologist is awkward for some people.  There's really no other way of putting it.  Recently someone told me of a situation where a friend of hers felt uncomfortable thinking that my husband was a gynecologist.  That particular situation didn't bother me, mostly I just laughed.  But it did get me thinking.   Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about it?

For me it's so normal.  It's our life.  My husband could be going to work on cars every morning, that's how normal it feels (yes, sometimes I have a moment of awe when I think that my husband is cutting open a woman to save a baby; quite wonderful that God allows him to play a role in saving lives).  But when I kiss him good-bye in the morning, it's normal.  Just another day of work.

I forget though, that I used to feel uncomfortable thinking about what gynecologists did.  And so maybe some of my friends, or some of my friend's husbands, have a hard time getting over it.  I'm not sure.  It's just so hard for me to remember those feelings.  It's so medical, so practical.  There's nothing romantic about it at all.

Anyway, its food for thought.  But not too much thought, or I might go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!