Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Learning to Adjust, part two

"Melina in Green"  by Emma Fordyce MacRae
Once or twice a year, I accompany my husband to his program's graduation festivities. The pleasant part of these yearly parties is buying a new dress.  But the harder part for me is making conversation.  This is the part I'm attempting to embrace.

At the most recent event, my husband had a presentation for which he was setting up, and I was lingering by him as he plugged in various cords.  But then he realized there was a cord missing and he had to fly out to purchase it before the program began.  So in a flash, I was standing alone, faced with some options...  

1) Go to the bathroom, and take a really long time...
2) Wander around the club and look at the art
3) Stand in line for a drink and "dress watch" (you know, check out all the latest fashions and internally analyze them; much funner done with a friend or sister...)
4) Stand around and look bashful
5) Intentionally find a familiar face and just talk to them

So, while I was very tempted to do option #1, I went with a little of option #3, and more of option #5.  I found my ob/gyn and talked about the kids and our Macs...kinda cliche', but good.  

When dinner was called, my husband still wasn't back.  Oh, no...Where would I sit?  I hadn't found a table yet!  I do know people, just so you know, like the residents that my husband teaches and some of his colleagues.  But they all know each other too and as I scanned the crowd, all their tables were full.  For a minute or two I probably looked a little lost, but I pulled it together and just chose a table, introduced myself and who I belonged to, and sat down.  Then I realized I had literally chosen the ahum  senior citizen table.  

I tried to make conversation but was literally running into a wall, until I spotted another familiar face at a different table, with two empty spots to boot.  I'm sorry to say (although glad I did it) I quietly escaped the first table (and really, I don't think they even noticed) and landed a spot in the next table.  

Upon finding a resting spot, I relaxed into good conversation about motherhood, career choices, and so on.  Soon my husband showed up and I must admit, I was somewhat proud that I had found a spot on my own and was deep in conversation.

Moral of the story:  Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and meet people. Often it's when you're on your own that you make the most progress in these situations.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!