Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Table Talk


This is a photo of my kitchen table.  I love it.  For me it represents so much-- the intersecting of lives, passions, hobbies... (can you see it?  craft scissors, kitchen scissors, and a needle driver; surgical gloves, lidocaine, fabric, and tissue paper...hmmm, what was going on that night?)  And this is my life.  My husband is a gynecologist.  When I first met him,  he wanted to be a doctor, but was leaning towards a completely opposite field (one that deals with the sinuses!).  Oh how the tables have turned!  (probably a good thing, for as he says, "If a high school boy wants to be a gynecologist, something's wrong with him.")

Needless to say, it seems I've always been faced with this challenge: how to merge my life with my husband's; how to embrace his world, and even bring something to it; how to enjoy his "shop talk," when we're socializing with his colleagues; how to explain to my children what in the world their Daddy does; how to feel confident about my career choice when I'm face to face with women who've chosen a very different one.  And alas, all this is hard.  

But through it all, I feel like I have a story to tell, a journey to describe.  Thus begins this blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!