Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spouse's Unite (Learning to Adjust, part four)

 "The Eve's Dropper" by Nicolaes Maes

This is the 4th in my "Learning to Adjust" series...I've been explaining how I'm striving to involve myself in my husband's world in a deep and meaningful way, not just accompany him or watch him as though I'm an on-looker. But to pursue his world and have some sort of an impact in the meantime.  So you  might need to read the prior posts to catch up to this story...

So the day of the spouse's event finally came.  I was a bit nervous, but on I plodded. When I arrived I put my name tag on and introduced myself to a few people, sort of made my way into the crowd and found a spot to stand (the event involved an Art Walk and lecture).  In my mind, I was wondering who I would click with, if anyone.  I spotted two wives about my age, interspersed throughout the group.

As we began our walk around the resort, the ladies pushed on and by some sort of miracle, seriously, the two other girls my age ended up right next to me.  We laughed about it later that it was like we were magnets!  Immediately we began to get to know each other, and lo and behold they were even from my state, which meant our husbands were in the same group.

So this led to that, we exchanged numbers, and for the next couple of days spent lots of our free time together, by the pool, at the beach, eating lunch, etc.  I was so thankful for the opportunity to get to know these women, who I'm likely to see again.  I felt the Lord prodding me in some conversations to speak up for Him, and I did.  And it was a   beginning--a start to perhaps more opportunities to connect with our common bond (our husbands are gynecologists) and to share how my faith impacts my life.

I hate to think what could have been had I ignored the urge to stretch myself and get out of my comfort zone.  Nothing terrible would have happened, but nothing good either.  It would just be life as usual, and I would be no further along in my desire to join up with my husband, in his world.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm now feeling totally bad that I didn't ask you about your trip!

    I am proud of you! I too know what it's like to go on business trips with my husband and try to connect in some way with the people he works with. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not. Sometimes I think I'd rather just go soak in the posh hotel bathtub! ha!
    Eight years ago, I found this part of being his wife, very hard. But it has gotten easier, and I now have some good relationships with wives that I wouldn't have had if I chose to soak in the bathtub!
    Thank you for reminding me of the potentials and the impact that we can have if we step out in faith. LEP

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!