Saturday, January 8, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes



art: In the Woods, 
by Elizabeth Gardner Bouguereau (American, 1837-1922)


As you might imagine, conversation at our dinner table, and around the house, is far different than most "common" people (and by that I mean people not in the medical field...)  When our oldest was a baby, we were firm believers of teaching children proper names for the parts of the body...all of them.  This worked out quite well for a time, and pin-pointed many a problem.  Until that day...

We were at a small prayer meeting for a very serious concern, in which people were pouring their hearts out to God, and there were quite a few tears.  I had to take daughter A (2 1/2 at the time) with me (because of course, my husband was on call).  So we stationed ourselves near the back of the little living room, and I sat there trying to keep A still and quiet, and praying my own quiet prayers in my heart.

Then out of the blue, A began to squirm and wriggle, and fuss and fight.

"Shhh, be quiet," I'm saying, and then she did it, and our plans completely back-fired...

"MOMMY, MY  V.....  ITCHES" in her LOUDEST possible voice.

Needless to say, I whisked her up in my arms, and ran out the door, threw her in the car and sped away.
Now she and our other children have "girl parts" and "boy parts." Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!