Monday, January 17, 2011

Even after 11 years...

Albert Edelfelt (Finnish, 1854-1905); Portrait of Louis Pasteur
There's still a few things I can't seem to get used to:
1) sleeping alone when my husband is on call...I still have nightmares sometimes and hear every single creak in the house when he's gone.
2) when he has to "run up to the hospital" to check on a patient, in the middle of a Saturday afternoon
3) when he has to work on a holiday, or in the middle of the holidays
4) the dirty scrubs all over my bedroom floor
5) open volumes of gynecological medicine on my coffee table (revealing pictures of some very strange surgical procedures at times)
6) "shop talk"--you know, when the four people we're hanging out with are telling tales about their OR day, and I have no idea what they're talking about
7) the mental focus of my husband when he's home but his mind is at work, pondering some challenging cases, bad outcomes, etc.  (this isn't all the time, of course; he's very engaged in our family...but sometimes)
8) being married to a man who's work involves life and death, every day.

The list keeps going, and I'm sure every wife has a list of her own, no matter what her husband does, which is part of the mystery and beauty of married life.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to all of these but #4 (per policy, scrubs stay at the hospital).

    I'm better than I used to be on those call nights, although the other night I was up until 1:30-- and I'm normally the one wanting to go to bed early! But, I'm trying to redeem the time (particularly the early mornings in this season of my life).

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!